Pinwheel Tree

It’s the time of year around here in Texas where the trees are blooming like crazy.  So many beautiful blossoms to usher in the new season.  I’ve been busy working on my Spring mantel and wanted to incorporate the blossom effect in a crafty way.  Therefore, constructing a very simple pinwheel tree.  (You have one growing in your backyard, right?)

I started off with a heavily corroded silverlike urn picked up from the Goodwill.  I sprayed it first with Kilz primer and then finished it off with Rustoleum Heirloom White.

Already the paint made such a difference.  I then found some loose tree branches from my backyard and trimmed them to fit into the urn.

On to the pinwheels.  I took a few different sheets of scrapbook paper in various colors and cut 4X4 inch squares.

I placed two squares together back to back with the pattern sides facing out.  I then cut from each of the four corners towards the middle of the square and stopping about 1/2 an inch away from the opposite cut.  Essentially making four connected triangles.

I pulled every other corner into the center and attached with a pin.  (Normally I would use a tiny brad at this point but I didn’t have any on hand.)  I then just wrapped a small piece of tape around the back of the pin to keep the pinwheel in place.

My pinwheel collection.  (They’re breeding like rabbits!)

I hot glued a few of the pinwheels to the branches.  I called it good after burning two of my fingers to the point of blistering.  (You would think I would know how to manage a glue gun by now.  I mean, what is the secret other than the obvious point of NOT touching the molten hot glue?  I just can’t seem to figure it out!)

I love how it turned out.  Especially since it was so simple to make.  I placed my pinwheel tree on the mantel as part of the Spring vignette.  There are a few other elements that will need to be finished before I can show the whole Springy thing in a dramatic reveal.
(UPDATE: Take a look at the finished mantel here.)
What Spring projects do you have in the works?  (And are you able to handle a glue gun without burning your fingers every single time?)

NotJustaHousewife contest button

Joining the Best DIY of 2012 contest at Not Just a Housewife

I’m also linking up to these fine parties:
The Lettered Cottage
Home Stories A 2 Z
Not Just a Housewife
Addicted 2 Decorating
The Frugal Girls
The French Country Cottage
Tatertots & Jello
Romantic Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Laura from Top This Top That says:

love your little tree. Need to make some pinwheels you make it look so easy!
    laura

2. ebeth9267 says:

cute stuff! try low melt glue sticks in a low melt gun–they don't burn :0)

3. This is so cute! What a great idea for spring decor.

4. POSY and CO. says:

Fun, fun and more FUN! So adorable and crafty! Much love, Lisa

5. Danielle says:

Love your tree and the pin wheels. So very sweet!

6. The House at Bluebird Lane says:

Super cute! I can't wait to see the rest of your Spring mantel.

7. Absolutely adorable! I am going to feature it on my site tomorrow!

8. Between You and Me says:

over from Layla's place…love your pinwheels! very creative!!

9. Love your pinwheel tree! It's a nice change from egg/ornament trees.

10. Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon says:

love those pinwheels! looks great! the pop of color againt the branches is perfect! 😉

Bonnie @ uncommon

11. This is GORGEOUS!! Hope you can link this up at my turquoise lovin' party going on right now!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2012/03/its-that-time-again-time-to-share-our.html

12. Kristen Duke Photography says:

super cute pinwheels, i also LOVE the shutters—trying to find some shutters to paint, where have you found them around here?

13. Amy Fountain says:

Great job on the vase! The mantel looks so perfect.

14. Keeping it Cozy says:

I love your pinwheel tree! I've had so much fun making pinwheels this year… they are easy and pretty… the best combination!

15. What a great idea! It reminds me of my childhood. Love the colors of the pinwheels and I love the color of the shutter. You did a fab job transforming the urn with paint. I just might use your idea as a jumping off point to create something similar.

16. that’s really good to know, thx

17. purewaterhq whole house water filters says:

Organisations that are involved in preventing pollution in South Africa?